Instant messaging giant, WhatsApp has started testing its payment feature based on Unique Payment Interface (UPI). This feature has been provided to few users only. It will soon be available for general public to use.
What is UPI?
UPI is an acronym for Unified Payment Interface. It is a system created for making payments using the mobile number that is linked to your bank account. This new technology is way faster in transferring money as compared to other methods like NEFT, IMPS, and RTGS.
If you are one of the WhatsApp users who want to use this feature but hasn’t got it yet, then you can activate it on your device with a simple trick. This feature is currently available on the mobile version of the app and doesn’t work on WhatsApp web. This feature supports many major banks like HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, Yes Bank and Airtel Payments Bank etc.
Here are the steps to follow to enable this feature on your device:
Step One: Activating the feature
- The user who has already got this feature need to go to their friend’s profile on WhatsApp and tap the attachment button.
- There will be a prompt with the payment option which he has to tap.
- After they tap, there will be an error stating that your friend doesn’t have WhatsApp UPI feature just yet. This will enable the feature for you.
- Now, when you go to the settings section you will also have then payments option.
Step Two: Using the payment feature
- Firstly, you have to go to the friend’s profile to whom you want to send the money.
- Tap on the attachment button and tap on the “Payment” option.
- If you are doing it for the first time, you will be prompted to select your bank account to link along with the mobile number associated with it.
- After the process is complete, you will be provided with a prompt which will show you the person’s name, the bank account used along with the option to write the amount you want to send. You can also send a message along with it to describe the payment.
- After this step, you will be prompted to enter your UPI code.
- After the payment is done, the payment will be shown as a message in the conversation.
So, as you can see, it is very easy to activate this feature as well as use it. You can invite other friends, in the same manner, to enable the feature on their device. This feature is currently free and is expected to be launched soon. By introducing this feature WhatsApp has jumped into the competition where apps like Hike, Paytm etc. are already competing. The user base of WhatsApp is already largest than its competitors hence it has one less obstacle to clear. Let’s see how will the competitors respond to the new entry in the competition. We are hoping it will be beneficial for the customers too.